Specialist sectors such as mining, energy, healthcare and defence involve complex systems, many different user groups and multiple safety critical activities.
The mining and energy sector is a demanding and challenging area. From extraction of raw materials to energy conversion, human factors / ergonomics plays a core role in many facets of this safety critical area.
- product design, including displays, interfaces and controls
- job design, including workload, task requirements and supervision
- work environments, including temperature and humidity
- organisational factors, including policies and procedures.
Human factors / ergonomics is of critical importance to the defence sector.
From the design and procurement of equipment and interfaces to job design and workload management, optimising human factors / ergonomics can have significant benefits.
Human factors / ergonomics plays a vital role in the health care sector. The primary focus in this sector is high risk safety critical tasks such as surgery, emergency care and medication distribution where errors can have significant consequences.
However, even relatively low risk factors can have a significant financial and social impact if the design of products, systems and / or processes does not adequately consider human factors / ergonomics principles. Facets of health care that can be improved through incorporation of a human factors approach include:
- equipment and interface design to reduce physical and cognitive demands
- workload and error prevention
- safety management systems, including job design and training
- incident investigation to determine root cause and prevent recurrences
- human factors / ergonomics audits to identify deficits and make appropriate control recommendations.
At Ergonomie, we have experience in addressing human factors / ergonomics issues that are faced by specialist sectors. From human error analysis to the integration of human factors into complex engineering projects, Ergonomie has the experience to optimise efficiency, safety and usability in these sectors.
We balance the needs and constraints of the customer with relevant regulatory requirements to achieve optimal design of equipment, systems and processes.